WHAT IS SOLAR THERMAL
Warming up to new ideas
Today’s energy methods need to become more sustainable, renewable and efficient. Natural resources such as gas and oil have been tapped so much that they are beginning to run low, making them ever more costly and difficult to find. High emissions of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels are also causing noticeable global climate changes.
Energy prices continue to rise, and environmental concerns are high on the nation's agenda. Savvy homeowners are on the lookout for alternative energy sources. VELUX, a global leader in skylights and other solar technologies, is meeting this need by providing solar hot water heating systems. As you can see, there are many benefits to solar hot water heating that make it a great energy choice.
On our solar energy pages, you can read about how VELUX can help you reduce your impact on the environment by harnessing the abundance of solar energy available to us.
Cost effective solution
On average, if you install a solar water heater, your water heating bills should drop 50% - 80%. Also, because the sun is free, you're protected from future fuel shortages and price hikes. Other financial incentives include:
• Anticipated payback period of 3 to 7 years, in years with state and federal incentives.
• Solar energy systems can take advantage of the sun's free energy year round.
• Solar energy can be produced even at low temperatures.
• Federal tax credits help pay 30% of the system and installations costs. Many states and utilities offer additional support.
• Between tax credits and energy savings, this system offers a faster return on your investment than other types of solar energy systems.
• Lower first-time start up cost than solar photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Source: U.S. Department of Energy EERE consumer's guide